Some gifts are predictable — think socks or that box of chocolates, where a high proportion of them are the hard caramels. Other gifts are weird, wacky, and off the wall. But there are a lot of weird gadgets and gear out there that will also make someone — or maybe you — a great gift this holiday season.
Here I bring you a selection of the weird gadgets and gear that I’ve come across this year that I’ve found to be surprisingly useful. I mean, I never knew that battery-heated jackets were a thing before this year!
Scalpel blades are cheap, disposable, and super sharp, but unless you have a decent handle, they can be super dangerous and lead to unexpected trips to the ER. I love this craft knife because the oversized handle works great for my paws, and it offers ample grip, even when sweaty or wet.
I was initially skeptical about these outdoor solar lights, but I’ve had a few that have lasted a couple of years and are still going strong.
For this price you’re getting two lamps with a battery, solar panel, PIR motion detection, and 120 LEDs, all packaged in a weather-resistant IP65 shell… that’s a really good deal.
This connector is a standard USB-C type connector that is attached to a dongle using a magnet. The magnet is strong enough to keep the connector together but will allow the connector to separate if the cable is given a tug that is strong enough to take the laptop on a journey groundwards.
I’ve tested it several times — a couple of times by accident — and found it to be effective.
It just works.
The connector is rated for 100W (20V/5A) power transfer, which is what I use it for, but it is also good for data and can support a throughput of 10Gbps, and can support [email protected] video output.
Everyone needs a good mug. Here are the highlights of Yeti’s Rambler:
- 18/8 stainless steel made with kitchen-grade stainless steel, so they’re puncture- and rust-resistant
- Dishwasher safe because no one needs more work to do
- Thick gauge steel makes for stronger, more durable drinkware to resist dents and dings
- Double-wall vacuum insulation keeps cold drinks cold and hot drinks hot until the last sip
- No sweat design say adios to damp or frostbit fingers
This tool is Pperfect for scrapbooking, news articles, coupons, art projects, and plastic packages.
- Finger friendly design
- Features a high-tech ceramic blade that’s almost as hard as diamonds; lasts longer than steel and never rusts
- Non-Slip Rubberized Finish with Built-in Magnet and Key-Ring Hole
- Cutting tool that’s quick, easy, and safe
- 1% of Slice sales are donated to fund Autism research at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital – Stanford University
You can use this to read and clear your Check Engine Light and all other vehicle systems. Here are the features:
- Get your unlimited free vehicle-specific Repair Reports, generated from our database of millions of fixes verified by Professional Automotive Technicians
- As easy to use as a code reader with all the capabilities of an expensive handheld scan tool, plus the benefits of your smartphone or tablet (free app updates, portability, saving data, interactive graphing of live data)
- Officially licensed and certified for Apple and Android devices
- The BlueDriver App and BlueDriver Sensor work exclusively with each other to ensure quality
- BlueDriver is the Professional OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool trusted by mechanics and developed by Professional Engineers in North America
Need more gift ideas?
Our sister sites also have the following gift guides:
- CNET: Stellar gifts for 2020
- GameSpot: Gift Ideas for 2020
- TechRepublic: Holiday gift guides for techies, remote workers, and everyone else on your list